Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Audiobook of the week

The Luxe-Anna Godbersen

Gossip Girl set in 1899. Yep. That pretty much covers it.

As a Reader:

My first love as a pleasure reader was (and still is) Historical Romances. You don’t see many of those in YA, so I’ve been looking forward to this book for a long while, and my library finally got it. They got whole series, in fact, and I can’t wait to hear more. The author used a prologue that I felt (at first) gave away too much, but the ending made me glad she’d included it.

As a Writer:

The author also used a somewhat distant third person with multiple POVs, but the style fit the time period, so it worked fine for me. And back to the prologue issue…this is one of my writer hot buttons. Prologues can add to a story and can be done well, but I would still advise would-be writers to avoid them. They are rarely as needed or done as well as the author might think they are. Getting an agent is a numbers game, and the last thing you want to do is turn one off by having your first word be, Prologue.

If you like this, you might also like:
 
Great and Terrible Beauty (The Gemma Doyle series)- Libba Bray
Uprising, Just Ella, and Palace of Mirrors- Margaret Peterson Haddix
Book of a Thousand Days and The Princess Academy- Shannon Hale
How to be Popular- Meg Cabot

Sorry, this is more like audiobook of the month. I'll post two this week and next to catch up:)

No comments:

Post a Comment